Monday, September 28, 2009

Day 28

Happy birthday, mother.

Right now I'm watching "Big Bang Theory." This is the 9th episode I've watched in the last 24 hours. "Big Bang Theory" isn't an amazing show and it turns out that it's not awful either. But still no show is worthy of 9 episodes in 24 hours (unless we're talking about "Hoarders" which if you haven't seen it, is totally necessary).

As an aspiring TV writer one is forced to write "spec" episodes of existing television shows. The idea behind doing this is to demonstrate that you can write a joke, but also to demonstrate that you can write within the confines of a specific style. A show runner is looking for someone who can help their writing staff with ideas, but they also want to know that you can write their genre. My writing partner and I have already written a spec of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" so we need to pick a show that is a more "traditional" middle-america type show. So this process begins with us picking a show that fits that.

So we settled on "Big Bang Theory" with neither of us ever having really seen it. So I'm now on my 10th episode of this show and I'm still not even sure I like it. But it is a strange endeavor to watch a show not as a fan, but studying it for the sake of trying to mimic it.

The good news is that I feel like we can write a funny episode of this show. Despite it being slightly more traditional than shows I usually watch, the sense of humor is up the right alley. Writing for nerds is fun. You can break reality and nerds are expected to talk strangely.

Someday I'll actually work hard on one of these posts.

Two days!

No comments:

Post a Comment